We wanted to highlight some of the amazing benefits of having grass for you and the environment!
- Cooling Effect – Having grass is much cooler than just rocks or cement. Did you know turf areas can be 30 degrees cooler than asphalt and 20 degrees cooler than rocks or dirt? Our house had an entire front yard of lava rock when we bought it, think major fixer upper. Walking up the front walk to the front door in our west facing front yard was hot!!! Now that we have grass it is amazing how much more refreshingly cool it feels even on a hot Colorado summer day.
- Environmental Cleaners – Grass plays a vital role in capturing dust, smoke particles and other pollutants.
- Water Filters – Lawns absorb runoff and filter pollutants that might otherwise filter into bodies of water – natural filtration systems.
- Air Purifier – Grass absorbs carbon dioxide and breaks it down into oxygen and carbon. A 50’x50’ lawn produces enough oxygen for a family of four.
- Noise Minimizers – Lawns and plants in yards help in reduction of noise pollution; they can reduce noise levels by 20 percent to 30 percent over hard surfaces like concrete and pavement. Wow!
Even in areas that have water restrictions and are experiencing drought like Colorado some summers, it is important lawns and landscapes remain an important component of healthy thriving communities. There are a number of sustainable practices allowing managed lawns and landscapes to reduce water usage and still provide important environmental benefits.