Today is Earth Day and whether you consider yourself “crunchy” or not, if you love our planet like we do, we all can work together to make small changes to clean up our beloved planet. At EcoTurf, we take environmental stewardship seriously in our professional and personal life. Here are some of the changes we have made in our family to be good stewards of this amazing Earth, we get to call home.
- Plant drought tolerant flowers, shrubs and grasses–which will reduce the amount of watering needed and is more compatible with Colorado climate and soil.
- Recycle more than you throw away
- Plant a garden
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Install solar lights for the outside of your home. (Love the savings and better and better ones are becoming available.)
- Buy in bulk to reduce packaging.
- Use your grass clippings in your yard instead of throwing them away. (See my other blog post about minimal maintenance gardening here.)
- Pick up litter in your neighborhood when you walk your dog or when on a stroll. (My kids love to do this!)
While we wait for our oldest child in carpool lane, every spring I take the youngest and go pick up litter in this ditch/retention pond area which is in the commercial part of town. We fill the back of our van in 10-15 minutes! Now she comments every time, we are in carpool lane – “Look Mommy, we cleaned that up!”
- Ditch single-use plastic water bottles.
- Bring your own travel mug to your favorite coffee shop.
- Bring reusable shopping bags with you or ask for paper instead of plastic at the grocery store.
- Buy eco-friendly and sustainable products from companies who are committed to environmental stewardship.
What ways are you making changes to keep our Earth beautiful? Share your ideas in the comments below!